Saturday, April 4, 2009

Boys night out!

Gord, Dio and I hung out all Friday night and it was great! It was a record night because we hit up 4 separate establishments and ate and drank at each one.

This is Dio, as in Ronnie James Dio. He's an aspiring musician, a romantic and a medical student. He's also very idiosyncratic, and does strange things like pull out his gory medical notes while we're eating Korean barbecue.

The location was around Cheongnyangni and Wangsimni, Gord, Charlotte and Dio's home turf. Our first stop was this very quaint and cozy galbi place that Gord, Charlotte and I always like to eat at. I love galbi so much. First time I had it, it was good in that exotic, first time trying kind of way. Now, I get cravings for it on a regular basis and it's become my new comfort food. I am really really going to miss it when I go back to Canada.

After that we went to a really dimly lit lounge joint and had pizza and beer. It was good. They had electronic darts and I have no idea why we never got around to playing them. There's no pictures because it was way too dimly lit.

Next stop was this place, a supposedly Peter Pan themed establishment that had cheap bottle service. Dio ordered us the most random assortment of food and drink. That up there on the left is a decanter full of milk. We mused about how creepy it would be, ordering milk at a bar, sitting in the corner and sipping it alone, quietly.

They had a little mascot dog there as well. He was so bored so we played with him for a bit.

Last stop was Dok, a small hole-in-the-wall barbeque restaurant with a really characteristic vibe to it. Dio always goes here and 2 of the 3 times I've walked by it on separate occasions, he was inside eating.

The owners are Mung and Johnny Kim, two guys that Dio is super tight with, which meant we got to mess around with the music being played in the restaurant a whole bunch. We chatted music and ate grilled meat and kimchi. I think the owner was getting a bit annoyed because we put on some ridiculous stuff. Dio put on Smells Like Teen Spirit and Gord and I pretended that we had never heard of it, or the band Nirvana, which he believed. I put on Giorgio Moroder.

The night ended really late and I felt bad for staying as long as we did. I had a doctor's appointment at 10am the next morning too. Thankfully Gord's place was only a short walk away.

Oh, I should also mention that Dio would have paid for everything had Gord and I not forced money upon him at one point. He still paid for a lot, but I found out today that he has rich parents and no job so I don't feel so bad anymore.

These weekend entrys are always so much fun. I'll make at least one more before Monday.

3 comments:

  1. i'd like it noted that i was at the first establishment with that amazing samgyapsal. i never carved galbi until i ate it there and now that place is running me broke.

    you should also mention how you and gord missed out on the Klimt exhibit due to your lack of sleep! grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. giorgio moroder! that place looks really cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giorgio Moroder is the future of music! Gotta love Dok

    ReplyDelete